In this section of the website, we would like to provide some materials for parents and students that may be helpful. The materials will cover various topics.
A free, Ontario-aligned math game for grades 1-8.
Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. It tackles math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, and more. It can be useful not only for primary school but for any level of education.
The link below will direct you to the math section.
It is a fun way to learn touch typing.
There are four levels to play, each divided into three stages.
You start by learning the home row keys. Each stage builds on previous lessons, introducing new letters as you progress. You’ll soon be touch typing like an expert! At the end of each level you can test your typing speed and get a fun reward.
LEARNING RESOURCES RECOMMENDED BY TCDSB
Please note most of the following resources requiring logging in with your child’s TCDSB username and password (firstname.lastname@example.org and password):
- TCDSB Curriculum and Supplementary Resources: Developed by TCDSB teaching staff to support learning at home, this site provides access to learning resources for any grade, any subject area, at any time.
- Ontario’s Mathify Tutoring Program: Free 1:1 math tutoring with Ontario Certified Teachers for students in grades 4 to 12. Register for Mathify Tutoring.
- TVO Learn: Curriculum-aligned, grade and subject-specific learning activities from Kindergarten to Grade 8. Grade 9 to 12 searchable high school content for over 140 secondary school courses.
- Sora Library App: Access eBooks and audiobooks 24/7 (including from Toronto Public Library) that automatically return at the end of the lending period.
- Knowledgehook (Grades 3 to 10): Online math games and activities to deepen student understanding of math concepts, and build confidence in math. To login use the class code provided by your child’s teacher.
- Zorbits Math Adventure (Kindergarten to Grade 3): Games and activities for students to explore curriculum-aligned math concepts in fun and playful ways.
Science Learning Resources: Elementary & Grade 9
- Elementary science and technology resources and training supports, such as lesson and assessment plans, educator videos and professional learning webinars, are available through Science North, the Ontario Science Centre, the Ontario Principals’ Council, Sustain Ontario, the Science Teachers’ Association of Ontario as well as Windigo Councils’ websites.
- Grade 9 Science supports are available through the Ontario Science Centre and k2i’s websites.
- Apply for Ontario’s Catch Up Payment: $200-250 per child: Receive $200 per each school-aged child up to the age of 18, or $250 for each school-aged kid up to age 21 with special education needs. Parents/guardians must submit a separate application for each student. The deadline to apply is March 31, 2023. Apply now for your catch up payment(s).
- Wellness Activities & Resources: TCDSB Mental Health Services has compiled a Holiday Wellness Guide with tips, resources and activities for families during the break.
ONTARIO CURRICULUM UPDATES
The Ministry of Education is updating curriculum and courses for September 2023 which will be issued in spring 2023. For more information, please visit: Curriculum and Resources website to learn more about recent and upcoming curriculum changes related to your child’s grade.